Butternut Squash Soup
The jalapeno in this recipe may be optional but this soup will warm you up either way. Butternut squash is a source of vitamin A.
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups peeled and seeded butternut squash, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1Tbsp minced jalapeno (more or less to taste)
- 31/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup low-fat half and half
- In a large pot, over medium heat, add canola oil, onions and garlic. Sauté until softened and just starting to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add carrots, cumin, salt and pepper and cook another 3 minutes.
- Add the squash, stock and jalapeno, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and allow to simmer for about 30 to 40 minutes, or until squash is softened.
- Using an immersion blender, carefully blend in pan until smooth and creamy. Another option: ladle soup into a blender or food processor and puree it until smooth.
- Return to pot and add half and half, stirring to blend well.